Your Home

Frequently asked questions

How do I………………

• Make an application to go on the housing register?
You can make an application through the Homes in the City Scheme. Council and Housing Association properties are advertised and you may bid for any property that interests you. Properties are usually let to the bidder with the highest priority. You can bid on line or at your local housing office. There is certain eligibility criteria attached to certain types of properties. If you need help with the bidding process just ask at your local housing office.

• Report a repair?
Contact your landlord or local housing office. If your home is managed by Wolverhampton Homes contact or telephone 01902 55 6789. There are courtesy phones available in the One Stop Shops and at the Civic Centre and there is a translation service available. There is also an online aid to help diagnose the problem on Wolverhampton Homes website go to The out of hours emergency service is available on 01902 55 2999.
Further advice is available in the Wolverhampton Homes tenants hand book. See below.

Rent a garage?
Again you need to contact your landlord. Anyone may rent a Council garage by contacting either Wolverhampton Homes or the TMOs. However priority will be given to existing Council tenants and you must not have any rent arrears. The garages may only be used for private or personal use not for commercial use.

Do I…………………….

Need to ask permission to take in a lodger?
Check with your landlord and/or check your tenancy agreement. Council tenants do not need permission to take in a lodger as long as it does not cause overcrowding. The permitted number for the dwelling should be included on your signed tenancy agreement. Please note it is an offence to cause overcrowding under the Housing Act 1985. Also if you are on housing benefit this could be affected if you take in a lodger, however under new rules relating to underoccupation (where benefits will be reduced if you under occupy premises) it may be to your advantage to take in a lodger. But please seek advice on this. A Council tenant must not sub let part or all of the dwelling without written permission from the Council or its managing agent. (Wolverhampton Homes or the TMOs).

• Need to tell anyone if my financial circumstances change as I am on housing benefit?
Yes you need to do this as soon as possible. Contact the housing benefits department on 01902 55 6556.

Need permission to make alterations to my home including laying laminate flooring?
Yes you will normally require written permission.

Need permission to keep a pet?
Check with your landlord and check your tenancy agreement . There are normally specific rules relating to the keeping of pets depending on the type of property you live in. You certainly must not keep livestock unsuitable for a dwelling ie horses, goats. Believe us it has been known! For Council properties cats and dogs are not permitted in high or medium rise flats ( 3 storeys and above). Also dogs are not permitted in flats that do not have direct access to an exclusive garden without permission of the Council or its agent. Obviously you are prohibited from keeping dangerous dogs as defined by the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. For Council tenants the keeping of animals should be restricted to one dog and one cat or 2 dogs or 2 cats. They should not cause a nuisance to, or annoy or frighten other people.

Need permission to put up a shed in my garden?
Check with your landlord and your tenancy agreement. You will normally need written permission. Certainly Council tenants need written permission.

Can I……………………

Swap property with another Council tenant or Housing Association tenant?
Yes you can register on line at You can register or view the site at the kiosks in the Wolverhampton Homes’ One Stop Shops. You may even swap to another area outside of Wolverhampton. However you need permission from your landlord and you won’t be able to swap to a property that is either too big or too small for you. You will also have to have cleared any rent arrears you may have or any other outstanding housing debts. For Council tenants contact the One Stop Shops or telephone Homes Direct on 01902 55 6789 or if you live in an area that is managed by a tenant management organisation contact their office.

Buy my home?
You may be able to purchase your property under the Right to Buy Scheme. In order to be eligible you must have been a Council tenant or a Housing Association tenant for at least 2 years (or 5 years if you took up your tenancy after 18th January 2005). Contact your landlord for further details.

What do I do if………………

My neighbour is causing a nuisance?
All public sector landlords are committed to taking action to tackle anti- social behaviour (ASB). ASB is a way of acting that causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as the perpetrator. This could include being noisy, being drunk or under the influence of drugs in public, dumping rubbish, leaving gardens in an untidy state, criminal activity, or violence and harassment. As a tenant you are responsible for the behaviour of every person or pet living in or visiting your property. For help of more information contact your landlord.

I am a victim of hate crime?
Again contact your landlord or the police. Hate crime is any incident where someone has been targeted or harassed due to their race, religion, gender, sexuality or disability. It can be verbal or physical, threatening or abusive behaviour, damage to property or graffiti. Your complaint should be handled confidentially and sensitively. There are also other organisations that will provide support such as Stop Hate UK contact number is 0800 1381625 and Victim Support 0845 3030900.

I can’t manage to look after my home and/or garden?
Contact your landlord you may be eligible for adaptations to be made to your home or your landlord may be able to help you move to a property that is more suitable for your needs
Wolverhampton City Council’s Independent Living Service (ILS) is responsible for assessing your need for an aid or adaptation and for ensuring that it is provided, and in some cases carries out the work. The contact details for the ILS are telephone number 01902 55 3666 or minicom 01902 55 3582 or email

Other support provided ……….

Wolverhampton Homes has introduced a gardening service for all tenants and leaseholders called the Tidy Garden Scheme. Elderly and vulnerable tenants will be given priority. However there is a cost for this service - contact them to find out more. Other landlords may have similar schemes.

I am having problems with paying my rent?
Contact your landlord, don’t bury your head in the sand. Tackle the problem before it gets out of hand. Refer to our section on money matters. There are agencies who can advise you and give you help to manage your finances and give you support. You may not be claiming all the benefits that you are entitled to. If you are in rent arrears you are in breach of your tenancy conditions and in the worst scenario it could mean that you lose your home so get advice now.


You may need to download Adobe Reader to view files in PDF format.

You may need to download Microsoft viewer software to view Word, Excel or Powerpoint files.

Related Information:

Return to Advice