Top Ten Tips For DIY Home Improvements
Making a few effective changes to your home can make all the difference and it’s never been so easy! Follow our Top Ten Tips for DIY home improvements and see your home transform before your very eyes...
- Give your front door a fresh lick of paint to instantly revive the exterior appearance of your home. A smart looking front door will help to make a great first impression, so think carefully about your choice of colour and finish. (You will probably need permission from your landlord for this). Why not add a house number or name plate for the perfect finishing touch!?
- Adding shelves to a room is a great and simple storage solution that will help to make your home look more organised.
- Make a statement by adding a feature wall to your living room, contrast neutral colours with a bold block colour or patterned wall paper on one wall for maximum effect and style points.
- Fitting a new pair of curtains is a simple way of updating the appearance of a room without having to change any of the existing decor. Choosing the right fabric and design will have a dramatic effect on the overall appearance, so you will need to consider the shape and style of the room when making your decision. It is also important to measure the size of your window to ensure that your new curtains will be a perfect fit.
- If you are bored with your current decor then the easiest solution is to re-paint. Light colours will help to brighten a room, making it feel bright and airy, whilst intense colours can create a certain tone or atmosphere. Preparation is essential – make sure you smooth any cracks using filler and wash all the walls to ensure they are clean and dust free before painting.
- The easiest way to update the style and look of your kitchen is to buy new door handles for your kitchen cupboards. This small change will be sure to make a big difference to the overall look and requires minimum effort and cost!
- Hanging a mirror is a great way to open up a room and create the illusion that it is bigger than it actually is. A mirror also serves well as a point of focus in a room and looks good above a fireplace or positioned in a central location.
- If your tiles are looking a little grimy, use a toothbrush to clean the grout in between them to restore your bathroom or kitchen. Using a cleaning product which specifically combats mould will help to quickly break down any mould and prevent it from reappearing.
- Whether they are favourite photographs or attractive wall art, hanging pictures instantly adds character to your home. Mix match a variety of sizes and frames to create an interesting arrangement.
- Spring clean! A good sort out will help to de-clutter your home and giving each room a thorough clean will instantly make it look more attractive.